As a parent or caregiver, one of the most important decisions you'll make is choosing the right car seat for your child. Not only do you want to ensure that your little one is safe and secure while on the road, but you also want a car seat that is easy to use and convenient for both you and your child. One feature that many parents are starting to look for in a car seat is the ability to swivel. Swivel car seats offer a number of benefits that make them worth considering.
First and foremost, swivel car seats make it much easier to get your child in and out of the car. Whether you're a parent with a bad back or simply someone who has struggled to wrangle a squirming toddler into a traditional car seat, a swivel car seat is a game changer. With a swivel seat, you can simply rotate the seat to face the door, making it much easier to get your child into and out of the seat without having to bend over or strain your back.
Another advantage of swivel car seats is that they can often be used for both infants and toddlers. Many swivel car seats can convert from an infant seat to a toddler seat as your child grows, making them a great investment that will grow with your child. This is important to keep in mind since they're not on the cheaper side of car seat prices.
When it comes to choosing a swivel car seat, there are a number of options to consider. However, one thing is for certain: a swivel car seat can make life as a parent or caregiver much easier. The convenience of the swivel feature is worth the investment, not only for your back but also for your peace of mind.
OUR #1 Pick
Evenflo Gold Revolve360 Rotational All-in-1 Convertible Car Seat Swivel Car Seat
Evenflo, a high-quality producer of children's products for over 100 years, created this game-changing rotating car seat. It's an excellent option for parents looking for a rotating car seat for their baby or toddler that's easy to use, safe, and will grow with their child.
Not only is the lowest-priced (MSRP not including sales) swiveling car seat available in the US, but it has the highest user ratings, children can ride in it the longest based on height and weight, it's easy to install with a base that detaches from the seat, and is the only rotating car seat in the US that rotates a full 360 degrees in all three seating modes. This was a pretty clear winner in our opinion but read on further to see the strengths of the other available options.
Things To Know
- The Evenflo Gold Revolve360 is a car seat that grows with your child, offering up to 10 years of use through the 3 modes: Rear Facing (4 – 40 lb), Forward Facing (22 – 65 lb), and a Booster mode (40 – 120 lb). The recommended height is 17.0 - 57.0 inches tall.
- It has a "Sure360 Safety Installation System" featuring "LockStrong" and "Tether360" which work together to keep the seat positioned safely and securely.
- This rotating car seat has 14 adjustable headrest positions that can be moved easily with just one hand.
- The product dimensions are 21" x 19.8" x 25.9" & the weight is listed as 29.6 lbs.
- One drawback is that an extra replacement base can not be purchased separately, so the entire thing must be moved if switching your child from one vehicle to another.
Things To Love
- One key benefit that sets this swivel convertible car set apart from the rest is that it's the only car seat available in the US that rotates a full 360 degrees in all three modes (infant to booster) for the easiest in and out access.
- It's available in 4 color options which include a pink and a blue version.
- Reviews rave about how easy the car installation is because the base separates from the seat. A mother of multiples stated that it was a game changer for getting her 3 under 2 in the vehicle.
- With a 4.8-star rating from over 2600 reviews, you can be confident in the quality of this Evenflo swivel car seat.
If you'd like to see it in action, check out this official Evenflo YouTube demonstration video:
Graco® Turn2Me™ 3-in-1 Car Seat
Graco, the number one seller of car seats in the US in 2020, and a brand almost every parent is familiar with (in the US) created another great product in the Turn2M 3-in-1 swiveling car seat. It's in the middle in pricing, but still feature-packed and well-loved in the reviews. Read below to find out why.
Things To Know
- The Graco Turn2Me rotating car seat is another option that will grow with your child. It has 3 modes: Rear Facing (4-40 lb), Forward Facing (22-65 lb), and a Booster mode (40-100 lb).
- There are 10 heights to choose from for the headrest position.
- This swivel car seat only rotates in rear-facing mode, so it may not be ideal for your family if you're interested in rotating in all three modes.
- The product dimensions are 24.4 x 19.13 x 24.4" and the weight is listed as 30 lbs.
- This is a one-piece car seat that does not detach from the base and is not designed to be carried around.
- This rotating car seat does not work with Graco's popular Click Connect car seat/ stroller system.
Things To Love
- Both of the cup holders are removable for easy cleaning- a necessity if you've ever taken a toddler on a long drive before!
- The "No-Rethread Simply Safe Adjust™ Harness System" makes it easier to adjust the height of the headrest and harness in one simple motion. No more struggling to pull both straps evenly while arguing with a toddler that wants to ride without the constrictions of a safety belt!
- This swivel seat is designed with Graco’s "push-button InRight LATCH" and boasts of an "easy one-second attachment" that makes safety simple.
- There are currently three colors to choose from, including a unique but classy gender-neutral burgundy (AKA "London").
- With a 4.7 out of 5 star rating, parents love this purchase!
Nuna Revv Rotating Convertible Car Seat
Nuna creates premium baby gear and the Revv Rotating Convertible Car Seat is no exception. Designed with clean lines and a Dutch inspiration, this high-end car seat is the most luxurious on the market in the US currently.
Things To Know
- The Nuna Revv rotating convertible car seat is another option that will grow with your child, until they're around 40 pounds. It has 2 modes: Rear Facing (5-40 lb) & Forward Facing (25-40 lb). The manufacturer recommended height is up to 43" tall while forward facing.
- It does not come with a booster option.
- The product dimensions are 22.5" x 18.25" x 22.5" making it one of the smaller sizes available.
- The harness has 10 height options that can be easily adjusted with one hand.
- It's not sold on Amazon or Walmart, but can be found at Nordstrom, Pottery Barn, and a variety of child-specialty stores.
- It has the highest price tag of the high-tech car seats in our guide today.
Things To Love
- Both of the cup holders are removable for easy cleaning and dishwasher safe which has real value in our household.
- This swiveling style is aircraft-certified so you can bring it with you from car to plane on all those trips we're hoping you get to take.
- This posh pick for rotating car seats comes in dark blue, hazelwood (a greige neutral) and caviar.
- Merino wool head and body inserts with additional organic cotton infant inserts and harness covers keep your little love comfortable in a more natural luxury. It also includes leather accents that highlight sophisticated elegance.
- Magnetic harness holders keep the straps out of the way when getting your baby in the seat (After hours of strap wrestling over the years, we want to know why this is not THE standard?)
- A rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars suggests that no one purchasing the Revv has buyer remorse.
CYBEX Sirona S Convertible Car Seat
The Cybex Sirona S is a swiveling car seat that makes innovative safety features its' primary focus. In addition to top-of-the-line safety features, their claim to fame is creating the first car seat in the US to have a fully 360 degree rotating seat.
Things To Know
- This sleek futuristic swiveling car seat comes in 4 colors currently, but none of them are traditionally feminine. There's a light grey, grey and black ("pepper black"), black, and indigo blue.
- The Cybex Sirona S rotating car seat is another option that can grow with your child until they're around 65 pounds. It has 2 modes: Rear Facing (4-50lb) & Forward Facing ( up to 65 lb). The manufacturer recommended height is up to 49" tall while forward facing.
- The product dimensions are 25.3 x 20 x 25.5" and weighs about 30.4 lbs.
- This rotating car seat has an additional feature, "Linear Side-impact Protection" (L.S.P.) that is stated to absorb up to 25% more of an impact in a collision than similar car seats without L.S.P.
- The headrest has 12 different positions and can easily be adjusted without rethreading the straps.
- There are some reviews stating that the seat is "wobbly" or feels unstable and multiple reviews that say it's not easy to install.
- There are no cup or snack holders with this car seat.
Things To Love
- "Sensorsafe" is their technology that's in the chest clip and sends app alerts if your child manages to unbuckle themselves, if the back seat area temperature is too warm or too cold, if the baby is seated for too long, or if they're accidentally left behind in the seat.
- An interesting feature is the "load leg" designed to absorb some of the impact in a car crash.
- The design allows children to ride rear-facing until they're up to 50 lbs.
- Like the Nuna Revv, this rotating car seat has magnetic buckle holders to keep the straps out of the way when getting your child buckled in.
- Many reviews compliment the comfortable plush style that improves baby's comfort.
Baby Jogger City Turn Rotating Convertible Car Seat
Baby Jogger is a company known for its high-end baby gear and this swiveling car seat is no exception. With the minimalistic look the brand is known for, the comfort-related innovation for both parent and child, and a primary focus on practicality without cutting corners, it's easy to see why this car seat is loved by many.
Things To Know
- The Baby Jogger City Turn rotating car seat is another option that can grow with your child until they're around 65 pounds. It has 2 modes: Rear Facing (4 lb-50lb) & Forward Facing (22lb- 65 lb). The manufacturer recommended height is up to 49" tall while forward facing.
- The production dimensions are 21.75 x 19 x 23.5 inches and about 28 lbs.
- It rotates 90 degrees in both directions (180 total) when rear facing, but does not rotate all around or rotate at all in the forward facing mode.
- The headrest has 10 positions to choose from and combined with the "no re-thread" harness and 5 position recline options, makes this an easily adjusted car seat, which every busy parent should appreciate.
- The color options are limited to black and grey at this time.
Things To Love
- The fabric used on the Turn car seat features "COOLMAX" moisture-wicking material to reduce discomfort in warm temperatures.
- This car seat boasts 180-degree turn capability using just one hand, which makes it much easier to get your infant in and out.
- The unique technology used on this swiveling car seat "brings your child 10 inches closer when rotated", which makes it a lot easier on your back to lift your child in and out than traditional car seats.
- Many of the reviews exclaim how easy this car seat is to install.
- There is one removable cup holder that is dishwasher safe (an important feature to many).
Questions And Answers
Is it worth getting a rotating car seat?
Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to whether or not it's worth getting a rotating car seat for you and your family. Some factors to consider are whether or not the individuals getting the children in and out of the vehicle have bad backs or mobility issues, how old/large your child is currently and how long they will be able to use the car seat in question, and whether or not the additional cost of car seat with the swiveling function is practical for you family. Ultimately, you have to assess your own needs and preferences to answer this question.
What is the safest rotating car seat?
The safety of a rotating car seat is determined by several factors, including compliance with safety standards, proper installation and use, and overall design and construction. The five rotating car seats currently available in the US are all compliant with safety standards, but you can also check for car seat crash test ratings and any recalls. That being said, one of the most important factors is how the seat is installed and how your child is buckled in. It's critical to make sure that the seat is the appropriate fit for your child's size and weight and that you install it according to the manufacturers' instructions.
How do I properly install a swiveling car seat in my vehicle?
To properly install a swiveling car seat in your vehicle:
- Read the car seat manual for specific instructions.
- Choose the appropriate seating position for the car seat.
- Secure the car seat to the vehicle using the vehicle's seat belt or the car seat's lower anchors and tether.
- Make sure that the seat is tightly secured and at the correct angle and level position, which will vary depending on your child's size.
- Test the car seat's tightness by pushing on it firmly with your hand.
- Check the swivel function to make sure it works properly.
In conclusion, swivel car seats are a great option for parents who are looking for a convenient and comfortable way to transport their child all while preventing back strain and tears of frustration. With the ability to rotate, it makes it easy to get your child in and out of the car and many of them are convertible car seats, which can be used for both infants and toddlers. While they're a newer concept, it seems likely that they'll eventually become part of the new normal. So, if you're in the market for a new car seat, we definitely recommend you consider a swivel car seat as one of your options.
As always, happy travels!
If you're looking for more items to make traveling with your child easier, check out our article on car seat trays for children.